2018 saw the Somerset Unit for Radiotherapy Equipment (S.U.R.E.) provide funding of £494,162 to the Beacon Centre and Musgrove Park Hospital, with two major spends, the replacement of the SURE CT Scanner at the Beacon Centre which went live in June 2018 and SURE's donation of £110,000 to the MRI Scanner appeal at Musgrove Park Hospital.
2019 is looking to be another big year for SURE.
The Beacon Centre cancer treatment centre at Musgrove Park Hospital opened in May 2009, so after 10 years in service the rolling replacement of the three Radiotherapy Treatment machines (Linear Accelerator) is underway and due for completion in 2020.
SURE is funding a number of projects in support of the replacement of the three Radiotherapy treatment machines at the Beacon Centre.
As a result SURE is expecting to fund requests in excess of £500,000 to ensure the new Radiotherapy treatment machines are able to give maximum benefit to patients and deliver the latest treatments.
The photo shows the completion of Pegasus, the first new treatment machine which starts treating patients on 23rd September. The SURE provided ceiling light box looks terrific and certainly changes the feeling in the treatment room.
SURE has already committed £361,000 of funding to the Replacement programme, including:
● Upgrade the computer system which manages patient treatment plans
● Provision of ceiling lights above each new Radiotherapy machine to improve the patient experience.
● Replacement of some of the patient immobilisation devices.
● Additional wall mounted monitor screens in each treatment room to display patient information and treatment plans.
Additional projects seeking SURE funding of £150,000 are expected to be approved by the end of 2019, including:
● Upgrade to the Radiotherapy Treatment Planning computer software to aid the speedy calculation of treatment plans.
● Replacement and upgrade of the computer network data hardware used to hold backup treatment plan data.
SURE supporters have raised over £3M to fund equipment at the Beacon Centre and Musgrove Park Hospital over the past 10 years and further SURE funding will ensure cancer patients across Somerset continue to receive first class radiotherapy treatment over the next 10 years and beyond.
You can make an online donation to 'Somerset Unit for Radiotherapy Equipment' at: https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/giving/
Cheques should be make payable to “SURE” and sent to our registered address: 44 Calder Crescent, Taunton, TA1 2NH.